Sunday, January 31, 2016

GIS3015 - Module 3 - Typography

Marathon, FL

In Module 3 we were tasked with creating a map of Marathon, Florida.  Using a data set from Module 2 we focused on the Florida Keys.   The original basic map was created in ArcMap and then exported into Adobe Illustrator (AI).  This module required extensive use of different typography.  The assignment was to label various water bodies, Key names, an airport, point of interest, neighborhood, and two cities.  After Module 2, I felt slightly comfortable navigating AI.  First, I focused on setting up my Layers and configuring them to display properly.   Second, I planned the layout of the map; horizontal orientation and general color scheme and location of main items such as inset map and Keys/scale group and essential map elements.  Finally, I spent lots of time labeling and editing the text and map features to ensure the map could be easily interpreted.  I was frustrated several times in this lab due to my lack of knowledge of AI and the level of detail I felt this lab assignment required.   I did figure out that I could Edit Colors and change artwork colors more easily for multiple layers and features by using that menu option.  I also used items under the Effects menu to alter my text and features; especially different warping options.   I became more familiar with the Appearance window but am still taking way too long to figure out how to make the changes I want.   Using the Select Menu and Same Option helped me some.  I need to understand stroke and fill more in depth as I would like to easily have different fill options like I can in ArcMap.   I find coloring features is easier in ArcMap but only because the process is much simpler; i.e. much less time.   I understand AI has many more features I must discover and become proficient in.

For this lab some of the customizations I made to the map were: 

1.   Use of a drop shadow around the map extent that encompassed the different Keys.   I needed to group all of the Keys visually together in some way.

2.   It took me a while to realize how to denote the cities of Key Colony Beach and Marathon.  I changed the opacity/saturation of Key Colony Beach to show that it was a separate city from all of the other Keys.

3.   The City of Marathon encompasses multiple Keys.  In order to depict the extensive area the city covered, I edited the color of the features located within the city's boundaries.

I wasn't sure if I should label Key Colony Beach with a text box or not, so I chose to.   I also had difficulty placing a leader line in my inset map for Florida Bay.   I am sure it was "hiding" somehow, but I could not figure it out.  I also could not figure out how to create a "halo".   This is due to my lack of understanding of Fill/Stroke.  I had wanted to place halos around the text for the Airport and the Country Club.  I would have rather not have changed the color of the City of Marathon.   Instead I wanted to modify this boundary somehow using Fill/Stroke so the color would stay the same as Duck Key and the Neatline Border.   I could not figure out how to put stripes or dots or a gradient somehow on the City of Marathon so I had to change the color.

This lab was much more difficult than it appeared simply because of the time involved. I am having difficulty weighing the amount of time to spend making aesthetic changes.  Despite the frustrations, I enjoy seeing my finished product and each lab makes me appreciate the amount of time and detail that is required for an effective map.



No comments:

Post a Comment