Sunday, January 24, 2016

GIS3015 - Module 2 - Map of Florida


Map of Florida
In Module 2 we were tasked with creating a basic map of the State of Florida in ArcMap using data provided by the instructor.  We then were required to export our Florida map to Adobe Illustrator (AI) and use graphic design techniques to fine tune the basic map and make it "aesthetically pleasing, publishable material."  Prior to editing our map in AI, we needed to become familiar with the AI workspace and tools.  

Part 1 of the lab had us open ArcMap and add data about Florida's Counties, Surface Water, and Cities.  Some minor changes were required in ArcMap as well as the insertion of three essential map elements (North Arrow, Legend, and Scale Bar).  We also had to locate and view Metadata files for the three layers.  I found my recent week 2 lab assignment in GIS4043 helped me with this part of the lab.  I began to feel more comfortable navigating in ArcMap.  

After watching a video about using AI we opened up AI and began exploring.  In Parts 2 and 3 of the lab instructions, we explored the AI workspace and various graphic design tools.   There were many to choose from so the lab instructions guided us to some essential tools/settings and techniques that we would need to use for the next step.  Now we were ready to spruce up our elementary map.  We had specific requirements for our fine tuned map.  We needed to add the remaining essential map elements, at least three images of Florida State symbols, and several layout and design upgrades.  Upon completion of our final map we exported the file to a jpeg image; my Map of Florida is shown above.

My first attempt at this lab was not successful.  I created my basic map of Florida in ArcMap but spent some time making enhancements within ArcMap prior to exporting to AI.  Once I opened up my "basic" map in AI, I quickly realized how complex it actually was; especially the layers.  I decided to start anew and created a "real" basic map in ArcMap which then appeared much less complex when opened in AI.  The first priority in AI was to understand the Layer window and how to organize my map layers.  It took me several times of trial and error as well as some great advice from the discussion board to correctly setup my map layers.  Once I had the layer order established I could then proceed to inserting the required elements and enhancing the map.   I added the various text boxes for the Title, Data Source, Date, and Cartographer.  Using the Character Panel I was able to choose from different fonts and settings.  I also needed to fix the text within my Legend.  I decided to try and use the same font style for the majority of the map.  I added a background color and created a Drop Shadow around the State using the Effects menu option.  Next, I explored different border options for my Neatline and Legend.  I also played around with placement of the text boxes.  There are so many options and choices for displaying your objects.  It was easy to spend a great deal of time playing with the different features and trying to decide which design/layout looked best.  In Part 4 of the lab we were required to run a script that would enable us to easily replace a symbol for the major cities displayed in the map.  I perused the variety of symbols in the symbol library and selected two choices from the Map library.  Once again, comments from the discussion board enabled me to perform this task without too much trial and error.  I employed the same script to uniquely identify the capital city, Tallahassee.  I also had to update the Legend to reflect the new symbols for cities and the capital and label some of the cities by name.  The last major change to the map was the addition of State image symbols.   I chose to add the State Seal, State Animal, and State Flower.  After copying and pasting these images into the map, I used the Image Trace tool to clean them up and remove any white spaces.  Using text boxes I identified the State images.  Lastly, I began fine tuning the map.  I added a segment line to point to the correct symbol for the city of Miami and ensured my map contained all the elements required by the rubric.

In this lab I increased my knowledge of ArcMap to create the basic necessities of a map.   I familiarized myself with basic AI tools.  Learning AI was the most difficult portion of this lab.  I hit the undo button several times and was glad I kept saving the file after making successful modifications.  After making numerous mistakes and unable to fix them, I could just close AI and reopen my last saved AI map.  I now have a better understanding of Layer organization within AI.  Running the script was a very useful exercise.  I am sure there are many more useful scripts that will help me in a future map design.  This module was tough but I enjoyed seeing my finished product.  I definitely look at maps in a whole new way.  I am beginning to appreciate the magnitude of effort that is required to make a successful map.  While the data used to make a map is essential and at the core of any map, the design and presentation of that data is what makes the map a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment