Thursday, February 18, 2016

GIS4043 Week 6 Projections Part 2


Crude 5 Layer Map of Escambia STCM Sites
In this second phase of our Projection lesson we learned how to download data from different sources such as Labins.org and the FGDL Metadata Explorer.   We also learned how to create XY data using Excel and how to add that XY data to an ArcMap map and create a shapefile.  Part 1 and Part 2 steps enabled me to become more comfortable with understanding the different projections and where to look for them.  I also gained confidence using ArcMap tools such as Project, that enable the map creator to "reproject" layers so they match.  After proceeding through Part 1 and Part 2 of the lab, I was adequately prepared to tackle the requirements of Part 3.   After I downloaded the required data and I reprojected the layers to the same projection (NAD_1983_StatePlane_Florida_North_FIPS_0903_Feet) I created my crude map of 5 layers which inlcudes: Escambia County STCM sites, county boundaries, major roads, 4 aerial images of Perdido Bay {5160 quad of Escambia County}, and Quarter Quad Index.  I also added an imagery Basemap to ensure I had all layers aligned/projected correctly.  I changed the symbology of the Escambia STCM layer to an above ground storage tank symbol.  I also took a screen shot of the layers before and after setting Transparency on the Quarter Quad Index layer to the Area field.  Correct units in Feet are displayed in the bottom right corner.  The final screen shot shows the Data Frame Properties > Coordinate Systems Tab.
Crude 5 Layer Map of Escambia STCM Sites with Transparency
Data Frame Properties>Coordinate Systems Tab

No comments:

Post a Comment