Wednesday, June 22, 2016

GIS5103 - Module 6 - Geoprocessing within Python

The video, exercise, and textbook were all helpful in completing this assignment.   I began by opening Python Win and creating my script.   After setting the workspace and the overwrite of output files, I worked on the Buffer tool parts of the assignment first as I knew about that tool from my previous classes.  

I watched the video again and read ArcGIS Help to understand the AddXY_management tool.  I added my GetMessages and return lines ("\n").

I found a few problems/typos after using Check and Running the program.  After fixing my errors the script ran successfully.
Finally, I ran the script within ArcMap so I could visually see what happened to the hospitals.shp file.
I learned the following:

1. That it is not necessary to import arcpy within ArcMap’s Python window

2. Unless you close ArcMap you do not have to repeat code that has been run in the Python Window even if you close the Python Window or clear it.

3. When using ArcGIS Help it is useful to use Search Tab and then click on Locate Topic and then go to the Contents Tab to see where in the Contents this tool, function, or class is located.
Module 6 Flowchart for Script Assignment



Printed messages after successfully running Module 6 script

No comments:

Post a Comment