Sunday, May 29, 2016

GIS5103 - Module 3 - Python Fundamentals II

In Module 3 we were tasked with editing and completing a provided script.  After reading the required texts for this module I was initially weary of the assignment.   Many moons ago, programming did not come naturally to me.   In various work experiences I usually edited existing code instead of creating it.  So, I was happy to start the assignment by fixing/repairing some syntax issues in the provided code in Parts 1 and 2.   Part 1 emphasized the fact that a module has to be imported at the beginning of the script in order to use the functions of that module in the script.  Part 2 of the script was a dice game based on the length of the player's name.  The two syntax error corrections pointed out that case and type are important to producing an error free script.

Part 3 of the lab required us to generate a list of 20 numbers between 0 and 10 and it told us to use the "while" loop structure.   This made sense based on our reading of loop structures and the "while" loop requiring an exit condition; in our case the 20th number being generated.  At first I was stuck on how to put the generated numbers in a list but the assignment hint said to create an empty list first.   The Zandbergen text helped me figure out my next steps and the modules to use.

Flowchart for Step 3
Part 4 had us create a branching block and a loop structure using the list created in Part 3.  Again, the clues provided in the assignment steered me in the right direction.   A sketched flow chart helped me start the branching block and I also used the Zandbergen text to select the appropriate modules for both the branching and loop structures.  It was awesome seeing the results print on the interactive window.   I ran the script several times to make sure the correct result printed for each condition depicted in the script.   

I initially thought about receiving input from the script user to assign the "unlucky" number but quickly realized this was a little more complicated because I would have to take into account that the number received could only be between 0 and 10.   I would also have to create code to check for the length of the input and then truncate it to a value less than or equal to 2 in case a user typed in a value greater than 10.  I may still try to figure this out.

Flowchart for Step 4


Python code results for dice game and list creation and removal of unlucky number

No comments:

Post a Comment